- 8-10 - Extra tender baby cucumbers, slice in round shapes ( 2 heaped cups)
- 4-5 - Tiny Tomatillos - chopped (1 cup)
- 1 - Tender Serrano pepper. chopped (any green chili can be used)
- 3/4 Cup - chopped cilantro stems
- 1.5 Cup - tightly packed chopped cilantro leaves
- 3 inch - piece of ginger - crushed to coarse texture.
- 12-15 - Curry leaves
- 1 Tb.spoon - Oil
- 1 Tb.spoon - jaggery or brown sugar
Method of preparation :
- Combine chopped cilantro stems and 1 cup chopped cilantro in a small blender jar, crush to coarse mixture without adding water.
- Combine ginger pieces and chopped Serrano pepper in a small blender jar, crush to coarse mixture without adding water, alternatively you can grate ginger and finely chop Serrano pepper. For less heat use regular green chili.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a open shallow saute pan. Add crushed ginger-chili mixture, 6-7 curry leaves, saute over medium heat for 1.5 minutes or until ginger slightly starts to turn brown. Next add chopped Tomatillos, saute over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
- Now add sliced cucumber rounds, little salt, mix well, continue to saute over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup water and cook until water evaporates and cucumber slices are cooked tender, do stir frequently.
- Add mixture of cilantro stems and leaves, remaining curry leaves, 1 tbsp brown sugar,adjust salt level, mix well .If required add 2-3 tbsp water, continue to cook for 3-4 minutes over medium low heat.
- Garnish with remaining chopped cilantro and serve over rice or eat with rotis. If you want to enjoy zesty Cucumber-Tomatillo chutney/spread just grind this subzi in a blender for 1-2 minutes, drizzle extra virgin olive oil before serving.
Earlier blogged cucumber recipes :
1) Persian cucumber stir fry with Tofu cubes
2) Cucumber Paratha/ Kakdi Paratha
3) Dosakai+Pickling cucumber subzi with split green peas.