- 2 Cups - Raw Banana or Plantain - Peel the skin and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- 2 Cups - Pumpkin - Peel the skin and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- 12-15 pearl onions ( You can replace with one medium size chopped onion)
- 1/2 grated coconut - yield 1 Cup - tightly pressed.
- 1 Tb.spoon - corriander seeds
- 1 T.spoon - cumin seeds
- 1 T.spoon - mustard seeds
- 1/2 T.spoon - Turmeric powder
- 4-5 dry red chilies - ( I used byadagi chilies)
- 12-15 curry leaves
- 1 Tb.spoon cooking oil
- 1 T.spoon coconut oil (optional)
Preparing Coconut+Spice paste for Gravy:-
Combine fresh grated coconut + red chilies + corriander seeds + jeera in a blender jar with 1 1/2 Cup warm water and grind to fine paste.
Method of preparing Curry :-
- Heat 1 tbspoon oil in a heavy gauge pot. Add the mustard seeds ,when seeds begin to sizzle and pop - add 7-8 curry leaves - pause for 15-20 seconds - add 1 tb.spoon fresh grated coconut..saute until it turns brown and aromatic. Now add pearl onions and saute for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add diced raw banana with one cup water and let it simmer on medium high heat for 6-7 minutes until they are partially cooked and water is almost evaporated. Stir frequently.
- Now add pumpkin pieces, salt and turmeric powder.Combine with raw banana, add one cup water and let it simmer for another 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in half quantity of coconut+spice paste, Mix well.. cover with lid and let it cook for 3-4 minutes on medium low heat. Make sure there is enough gravy in pot, adjust water accordingly.
- Add remaining curry leaves and coconut+spice paste, combine and cover with lid - Adjust seasoning and gravy consistency by adding little water. Simmer it for 5-6 minutes on medium heat. Stir gently few times.
- Finally drizzle one tspoon coconut oil - reduce heat to low and keep it warm until serving. Enjoy with rice and roti.