Kerala style curries make a very rich addition to routine meals, they are simple yet very flavorful. This curry is prepared with combination of pumpkin and raw banana by adding minimal spices and fresh coconut paste...all together it blends into Great tasting vegetarian curry.
- 2 Cups - Raw Banana or Plantain - Peel the skin and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- 2 Cups - Pumpkin - Peel the skin and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- 12-15 pearl onions ( You can replace with one medium size chopped onion)
- 1/2 grated coconut - yield 1 Cup - tightly pressed.
- 1 Tb.spoon - corriander seeds
- 1 T.spoon - cumin seeds
- 1 T.spoon - mustard seeds
- 1/2 T.spoon - Turmeric powder
- 4-5 dry red chilies - ( I used byadagi chilies)
- 12-15 curry leaves
- 1 Tb.spoon cooking oil
- 1 T.spoon coconut oil (optional)
Preparing Coconut+Spice paste for Gravy:-
Combine fresh grated coconut + red chilies + corriander seeds + jeera in a blender jar with 1 1/2 Cup warm water and grind to fine paste.
Method of preparing Curry :-
- Heat 1 tbspoon oil in a heavy gauge pot. Add the mustard seeds ,when seeds begin to sizzle and pop - add 7-8 curry leaves - pause for 15-20 seconds - add 1 tb.spoon fresh grated coconut..saute until it turns brown and aromatic. Now add pearl onions and saute for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add diced raw banana with one cup water and let it simmer on medium high heat for 6-7 minutes until they are partially cooked and water is almost evaporated. Stir frequently.
- Now add pumpkin pieces, salt and turmeric powder.Combine with raw banana, add one cup water and let it simmer for another 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in half quantity of coconut+spice paste, Mix well.. cover with lid and let it cook for 3-4 minutes on medium low heat. Make sure there is enough gravy in pot, adjust water accordingly.
- Add remaining curry leaves and coconut+spice paste, combine and cover with lid - Adjust seasoning and gravy consistency by adding little water. Simmer it for 5-6 minutes on medium heat. Stir gently few times.
- Finally drizzle one tspoon coconut oil - reduce heat to low and keep it warm until serving. Enjoy with rice and roti.