(Makes 6 Parathas/ Unleavened Flat breads.)
- 1 + 3/4 Cup -Wheat flour ( I took 1 cup Indian atta and 3/4 cup sprouted whole wheat organic flour)
- 5-6 small Broccoli florets along with tender stems - yield 1 Cup roughly chopped broccoli.
- 3-4 Tb.spoon whey or 1/4 cup yogurt
- 25-30 Thai Basil leaves along with tender stems
- 1/2 medium size onion - chopped - yield 1/2 cup
- 2 Green chilies - chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic - slice each into 2-3 pieces
- 1 T.spoon - roasted Jeera / cumin powder ( whole cumin or raw jeera powder can be used.)
- 1/2 T.spoon - Turmeric powder
- 1/2 T.spoon - Salt
- 1 Tb.spoon oil + more oil to drizzle over paratha.
How to make Broccoli & Basil Paratha.
- Chop roughly 5-6 small size broccoli florets and stems, to get one cup yield. Cut onion into small pieces to get 1/2 cup yield. Chop green chilies and slice garlic cloves into 2-3 pieces. Combine all ingredients with 6-7 basil leaves in a small blender, crush to coarse texture without adding water. (In absence of blender use grater or microplane.)
- Roughly chop 20 basil leaves, finely chop tender stem portion. Keep it aside.
- In a medium size bowl add 3/4 cup organic sprouted wheat flour and 1 cup regular Indian chapati aata, roasted cumin powder, turmeric, chopped basil leaves and grated mixture of broccoli-onion, 1/2 tsp salt. (You may use plain organic flour instead of sprouted wheat flour or adding multigrain flour will also work.) Mix all together to make moist dough. Juices from herbs and broccoli won't be enough to bind the dough so add 3-4 tbsp yogurt whey or mix of whey and yogurt to make dough. Once the dough is bound together, smear with 1 tbsp oil and knead few more minutes to make a soft dough.
- Divide dough evenly into 6 balls, lightly dust with flour. Apply few drops of oil over palm, then rotate each ball between palms to make smooth dough ball. Roll each ball into 5 inch wide circle.
- Heat the griddle over medium heat. Place rolled paratha, after 30-40 seconds spray little oil over the edges of paratha, spray few drops in the center. Slow roast over medium heat, flip few times and fry until light brown spots appear over both the sides of paratha. Give 2-3 minutes fry time for each paratha.
- Serve with thick creamy yogurt or sour cream or cream cheese.