- 1 heaped cup - Nutrela Soya chunks
- 1 Extra large chayote/chow chow/Bangalore brinjal - julienned (2 cups lightly packed)
- 3/4 Cup - frozen green peas
- 1 small size onion - sliced lengthwise (1 cup yield)
- 1/2 Tsp - red chilli powder
- 1/2 Tsp - Turmeric powder
- 1 Tsp - Garam masala or your favorite spice blend powder.
- 1/2 Cup - fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp - oil
Directions to prepare Soya chunks/ soya vadi subji :
- Place soya balls in a medium size bowl filled with water, around 2 cups - microwave for 4 minutes over 20% reduced temperature that is set heat level to 80. Let it cool for 2-3 minutes. Take out all balls from bowl with slotted spoon, place in a colander, run under cold water for few seconds, until they turn cool enough to touch. Quickly squeeze out water. Gently Squeezing 2-3 times is enough, you need to retain some water in chunks. Keep aside
- In a medium saute pan heat 1 tbsp oil, add sliced onions, saute over medium heat, stirring often for about 6-7 minutes. Now add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala, fry for one minute.
- Next add julienned chayote, mix all well. Pour in half a cup of water, little salt. Cover the lid and cook for 4-5 minutes over medium heat.
- Open the lid, mix in squeezed soya chunks. Sprinkle remaining half tsp garam masala, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, little chopped cilantro. Mix well, continue cooking over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add 2-3 tbsp water if pot dries out at the bottom.
- Add 3/4 cup frozen green peas, reduce heat to medium low, adjust salt seasoning. Add 2-3 tbsp water, let cook covered for 4-5 minutes.
- Finally garnish with remaining chopped cilantro. Serve with roti, use as wrap filling or just enjoy in a bowl.