Today I wanted to pack salad for lunch box but there was no lettuce in the fridge so I made salad by preparing a partially sauteed veggie base with onion, celery, julienned chayote, tofu, cranberries, corn, carrots, cucumber. Over that I added raw Persian cucumber slices, fresh cilantro leaves, chopped tender cilantro stems, celery leaves. I packed this in lunch box with very little salad dressing. This salad is good enough to eat by itself without any salad dressing or vinaigrette, partially sauteed onion and veggie base makes it very flavorful. I saved little salad quantity to take image and record this salad recipe, after taking images my daughter enjoyed this plated salad.
Serves one as full salad meal with some left over, Or serves 4 as side salad.
- 1 small onion - finely chopped( 3/4 cup yield)
- 1 tender celery stalk - sliced half moon shape (1/2 cup yield)
- 1/2 Chayote - skin and seed removed , julienned. (3/4 cup)
- 1 carrot - julienned or sliced into small pieces (1/4 cup)
- 1 Persian cucumber - partly chopped enough to measure 1/4 cup. Slice remaining into rounds.
- Frozen corn - 1/2 Cup (use fresh if available.)
- 4 Tb.spoon - dried cranberries
- 1 green chili - finely sliced.
- Firm tofu block - around 80 gm, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (yield 1 cup) sprinkle tiny pinch of salt, toss to coat with salt.
- 1/2 cup - Mix of chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 3/4 Cup - celery leaves (pluck leaves off the stalk.)
- 1 T.spoon - cooking oil to saute onion and veggies.
- 1 Tb.spoon - extra virgin olive oil to drizzle over salad.
- 2 Tb.spoon - your choice of creamy salad dressing. (optional)
How to prepare semi-sauteed veggie Salad topped with raw cucumber.
- In a small saute pan heat 1 tsp oil, add chopped onions stir fry over high heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add sliced 1/2 cup celery, 1/4 cup chopped cucumber, 1 chopped green chili, 4 tbsp dried cranberries, continue to saute over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add julienned chayote, sliced carrots, 1/2 cup frozen corn, sprinkle one generous pinch of salt, continue to saute for 3-4 minutes over medium high heat, stirring often. Taste and adjust salt level.
- Now add salt sprinkled tofu cubes, gently mix all well. Let it stay on stove for 2 minutes over medium low heat. Shut off the heat.
- Transfer sauteed veggie mix in a medium size bowl, allow to cool. Add sliced Persian cucumber, chopped cilantro leaves and stems, celery leaves. Drizzle 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil. Toss to coat.. Another way to serve salad is arrange sliced cucumber, celery leave, cilantro leaves over the top or at one side like I have arranged in the image. Serve with creamy ranch salad dressing or your choice of cheese or just enjoy plain salad.