Kheer / Payasam with Barley and cracked wheat.This is very quick recipe to make healthy and delicious Kheer.One can enjoy as dessert or offer as Prasadam.You will love Soft and chewy texture of Barley.
- 1 Cup whole Barley - Soaked in water for 2 hours.
- 1/2 cup Cracked wheat.
- 15 Cardamom - finely powdered.
- 20-25 whole cashews fried in ghee till golden brown.
- 30-40 Golden Raisins fried in ghee till golden brown.
- 1/2 Cup Ghee.
- 1 1/2 cup crushed Jaggery or 12 one inch cubes of jaggery.
- 2 Tb.spoon Molasses for dark color glaze (optional)
- Take 4 quart Pressure cooker ...Add Soaked Barley and Cracked wheat. Add 4 Cups water and keep flames on high.
- As water starts to boil Add crushed jaggery or Jaggery cubes, 1/4 cup ghee and cardamom powder.
- Cover the lid and wait for first whistle to blow. Shut off gas immediately after first whistle.Let cooker cool down completely.
- Now open the lid and check for consistency of Kheer...You may add up to two cups of water. Start gas and keep on medium flames. Add remaining ghee and fried cashewnuts and raisins.For more darker glaze you may add 2Tb.spoon molasses at end.Mix well and let it cook for up to 8-10 minutes. Serve this Kheer hot with touch of ghee.