- Koot curry. (Kala Chana, Yam in coconut gravy)
- Kerala Matta Rice.
- Papadam with Curd chili on top.
- Rice Payasam.
- Beetroot+Green beans Thoran.
- Okra Curd Pachadi . (in center)
- Olan ( winter melon & black eyed peas in coconut sauce).
Monday, August 23, 2010
Wishing all my readers and visitors a very Happy, Healthy and Prosperous Onam.
I love to celebrate Onam - Harvest festival of Kerala. It is very cheerful and stimulating experience. Onam Sadhya is one of the distinct feature of this festival. It is a delightful platter comprising of flavor packed curries, subjis, chutneys, pickle, chips, fruits and payasam.
I tried to cook few delicacies of Onam Sadhya and thoroughly enjoyed cooking experience...with great joy relished delicious tasting Onam feast.
Friday, August 6, 2010
Chayote is my favorite vegetable in regular cooking.It has mild natural sweet taste and crunchy texture.I add chayote in sambar,lentil Curries, veggie stir fries, salads, paratha also make Chayote Fritters .Today prepared Raita with Chayote to go with Multi-Grain Methi paratha...very easy and refreshing recipe .Chayote blends very well with yogurt and herbs.Try this tempting Chayote Raita.
- 1 large size Chayote - cut into small cubes (1.5 cup yield)
- 1 Cup Yougurt
- 2 Tb.spoon Sour cream
- 2-3 green chilies
- 2 tiny cloves of fresh garlic
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger
- 12-15 fresh curry leaves
- 1/2 Cup chopped cilantro.
- 1 T.spoon - cumin
- 1 T.spoon - oil
- 1/2 T.spoon sugar
- 2 Tb.spoon coconut milk (optional)
- In a medium size microwave safe bowl add cubed chayote pieces, cover with enough water and boil for 6-7 minutes.Drain all water and keep it aside. ( I didn't add salt to retain natural sweetness of Chayote)
- Combine yogurt+sour cream+coconut milk in a deep medium size bowl.. Add salt and little sugar - beat well and keep it aside.
- Put together green chilies,garlic,ginger,curry leaves, cilantro (all ingredients marked in green color) in small blender and grind to a coarse texture.
- In a small saute pan/skillet heat 1 tsp oil over medium heat..make sure oil is not smoking hot..add 1 tsp cumin seeds..as they sizzle for 10-15 seconds...quickly shut off the heat and add coarsely crushed mixture of ginger,garlic,cilantro,curry leaves,green chilies...place saute pan away from heat and stir the mixture. Let it cool down for 3-4 minutes.
- Add boiled chayote and sauteed herb-spice mixture in the yogurt bowl. Gently mix all, adjust seasoning.Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro. Enjoy with meals or as Dip.
- This same raita can be made with variety of squashes, veggies, greens , firm Tofu..recipe will slightly change based on type of squash,veggie and greens that you choose to make raita. You can mix & match different herbs and spices.
- For more greenish tone on Raita - add more cilantro.
- For preparing Multi grain Methi paratha I followed this recipe...I replaced ragi and Barley flour with Rye and Bajra flour...added Kaloji as additional seasoning.