Wednesday, December 17, 2014
Last year I had submitted image of spices for Christmas cake. It was last black and white event for the year 2013, I don't wanted to miss my participation so I had quickly gathered few spices and sent my image to Cindy. At that point I just knew that I will bake one cake for Christmas using the spices I spread in the submitted image. I could not bake the cake on Christmas but baked it on the last day of the year. It was wonderful wholesome aromatic cake with lots of good ingredients. I have not yet published the cake recipe, I will soon complete the draft and publish it. I owe my inspirations to bake this cake to Black and White Wednesday event and would like to thank Susan, founder of the event and Cinzia, organizer of the event and all the participants who keep this event going.
Today I am submitting this last years cake image for the Christmas Edition of Black and White event #153 which is hosted by Lynne. Next BWW event will resume back on 7th January 2015, check here for host lineup.
Aromatic Christmas Cake with Samo and Amaranth flour.
Black and White Wednesday Event #153
Monday, December 15, 2014
Sprouted Masoor stir fry with Broccoli, Celery, Red Radish - [Indian vegetable-lentil Sattvik Stir-Fry.]
Mix and match of three veggies with sprouted Masoor Dal created this wholesome sattvik vegetable and lentil stir fry. I seasoned it with ginger, cumin, hing, turmeric, spiced it up with green chillies, cooked in extra virgin organic coconut oil and garnished with fresh grated coconut. This is what I packed for today's lunch box with two organic whole wheat mini rotis. I have used one week grown Masoor sprouts in this stir fry.
Ingredients :- (serves four portions as side dish. )
- 2/3 heaping Cup - sprouted Masoor Dal/ Red lentils
- 2 tender stalks of Celery - sliced in half moon shape (1 Cup yield.)
- 1 small broccoli crown - stems chopped and florets broken into tiny pieces. (1 heaping cup yield.)
- 5-6 - Red radishes - sliced into thin rounds.
- 2 T.spoon - extra virgin organic coconut oil
- 1 Green chilli - finely sliced
- 1.5 inch - square piece of ginger - grated over microplane.
- 1/4 T.spoon - cumin / Jeera + 1 more generous pinch.
- 1 pinch - hing (asafoetida)
- 1/4 T.spoon - Turmeric powder
- 1/4 T.spoon - fine sea salt
- 1/4 Cup - lightly packed fresh grated coconut.
- 1/4 Cup - fresh chopped cilantro for garnish.
- Prepping the Vegetables : Clean thoroughly two small celery stalks, make sure all sand residue is cleared, slice them into 1/2 cm thick half moon shape pieces. If celery stalks are not tender, peel out thin layer using potato peeler. Separate stems and florets from handful size crown of broccoli. Chop tender stems finely, cut florets into half inch size pieces. Rub and clean 5-6 red radishes well, slightly chop off both the ends, slice into thin round slices. Put spouted red lentils into small bowl filled with water for about 5-6 minutes, gently rinse under running water, drain and keep it aside.
- In a medium size pot heat 1.5 tsp coconut oil, Add 1/4 tsp cumin and half portion of grated ginger, let sizzle for 15-20 seconds, stir for 10 more seconds then add sliced celery. Saute over high heat for 3-4 minutes by adding 2-3 tbsp water. Cook until the water has nearly evaporated.
- Now add chopped green chili, a pinch of hing and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder. Stir and mix well then add chopped broccoli stems and florets. Cook on medium high heat by adding 1/4 cup water, stir at regular intervals, about 3 minutes. Add sliced red radishes, save some slices for last colorful garnish because in cooking process bright pink color of red radishes fades away. Mix and cook for one minute. Reduce heat to medium.
- Next add 2/3 heaping cup sprouted masoor Dal, reserved grated ginger, 1/4 tsp fine sea salt, mix and continue to saute over medium heat. Take one pinch cumin, sprinkle over veggies by crushing between two finger tips. (coarse cumin powder can be used.) If pan dries out add 2-3 tbsp water. After 3 minutes drizzle 1/2 tsp coconut oil, Saute for 3 more minutes.
- Check and adjust salt level, check if veggies are tender enough. Add remaining red radish slices, sprinkle fresh grated coconut and cilantro. Shut off the heat, let stay over stove for some time, about 5 minutes before serving with rice or roti or enjoy bowlful of this stir-fry as a meal or use as Taco filling.
Adding Sprouts once Veggies are cooked.
3 veggies and Sprouted Lentil Sattvik stir-fry.
One week grown Masoor sprouts.
Red Lentil Sprouts.
Recipe published on 3rd April,2016.