- 1 Cup Basmati rice
- 4 Tb.spoon Quinoa
- 1 1/2 Cup sugar
- 10-12 Cardamom - finely powdered
- 2 whole cardamom.
- Saffron - 3 pinches
- 2 Tb.spoon Ghee
- 20-25 Cashews - roughly chopped + Few whole for garnish.
- 1/4 Cup Pista - roughly chopped
- 5 Tb.spoon condensed milk
- 3 Cups water
- 6 Cups milk (2% Fat)
- Rinse rice and quinoa separately until water runs clear. Keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbspoon ghee in small pan and shallow fry cashew nuts - just until they turn light golden brown. Place them on paper towel.
- Place minimum 4 quart size thick bottomed pot on stove and heat 3 cups water. Drop two whole cardamoms and pinch of saffron in water. Once the water starts to boil add rinsed Basmati rice. Let it cook for 7-8 minutes on medium heat. Occasionally stir.
- Now add rinsed quinoa and simmer it on low heat until all water gets almost absorbed - 6-7 minutes.
- Pour 6 cups of milk. Stir and cook it on medium low heat. Frequently stir until milk starts to boil.
- Add powdered cardamom , 5 tbspoon condensed milk and one more pinch of saffron, cashews, pistachios, sugar. Simmer on low heat so that milk gets nicely soaked by rice and quinoa - for about 8-10 minutes.
- Finally pour 1 tspoon melted ghee .Take immersion blender and give quick swirl for 15 seconds. This will bring thick-rich texture to the Kheer. Garnish each bowl of Kheer with additional nuts , few strands of saffron and serve Hot or Cold.
Quantity mentioned in this recipe is good for 15-20 peoples crowd, for smaller crowd you may reduce proportions.
You can use more condensed milk and accordingly reduce the quantity of sugar.