I always stock variety of canned beans for ease of preparation and to add more nutrition and variety to Lentil-Bean-Grain based dishes...even adding them to sabjis, greens, soups brings lot of enrichment. Today I made black eyed peas curry for dinner..to make it more nutritious and interesting I added Dudhi/Lauki (Bottle gourd) and added one raw Green tomato to bring little sourness. All combinations blended well to make delicious hearty curry. We enjoyed this curry with chapati,green beans thoran, Surmai fish fry.
- 1 Can of Black eyed peas (15 oz.)
- 1 Cup cubed pieces of Dudhi - Boil in microwave for 6 minutes in salted water.
- 1 medium size green tomato - diced
- 1 large size ripe tomato - diced
- 1 medium size onion finely chopped
- 5-6 Garlic cloves - finely minced
- Ginger piece 1 inch long - finely minced
- 1/2 T.spoon - Turmeric power
- 1 T.spoon - Red chili powder
- 1/2 T.spoon Garam masala
- 1/2 T.spoon any other Masala of your choice - I used Rasoi Magic "Asli Maharashtrian Usal Masala" - Other options like subzi masala, goda masala ,malvani masala,Badshah Rajwadi Masala .This is optional ... you may use 1 tspoon Garam masala.
- 3-4 cups water
- 1 Cup - fresh chopped cilantro
- Empty black eyed peas into colander - rinse several times under running water until all Can liquid is washed away... drain all water and Keep it aside.
- Place 1 cup full cubed pieces of Dudhi/Bottle gourd in glass bowl..cover with 1 cup lightly salted water and microwave for 6 minutes. Keep aside.
- In a three quart heavy bottom pot heat oil, then add the chopped onions, when they have softened, add finely minced ginger and garlic, stir to combine..then add turmeric powder,red chili powder and two type of Masala powders - Stir for 1 minute.
- Now add diced green tomatoes and saute for 2 minutes on medium heat until green tomatoes are partially softened.
- Pour in rinsed black-eyed peas - Mix well with gravy base. Add three cups water, little salt, few chopped fresh corriander leaves. Cover, increase the heat to high and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add boiled dudhi pieces along with stock. Put diced ripe tomato. Stir and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes on medium high heat. Reduce heat to low and let it simmer for another 3-4 minutes. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro leaves.
- This simple and hearty curry dish can be served hot with rice, roti or can even be enjoyed as a soup.
Roti,Surmai fish fry,Black eyed peas curry,Green beans thoran.