- 1 Whole skinless chicken (3.5 pound) cut into medium pieces - marinate with salt.
- 2 Large onions - finely chopped.
- 2 inch piece of ginger - finely crushed.
- 7-8 large cloves of fresh garlic - finely crushed.
- 1 Extra large or 2 roma tomatoes - diced.
- 1 Cup fresh cilantro finely chopped.
- 2 Tb.spoon cooking oil.
- 1 Big size Star anise.
- 1 T.spoon red chili powder.
- 1 Cup fresh grated coconut. ( can be replaced with half cup canned coconut milk)
- 2 Ancho chilies - (3 inch long) - remove stem,seeds.. wash under water and tear in 3-4 pieces.......put in bowl........cover with water and microwave for 2-3 minutes.
Preparing Ancho chili paste
Use small mixer jar -Mix fresh grated coconut and microwaved ancho chilies. Make fine paste. I first made powdered spice blend and in the same jar added coconut and chilies. Depends on your blender type you can either grind all together or separate.
Spice Blend :-
- 1 Tb.spoon - Fennel seeds
- 1 T.spoon - Cumin seeds.
- 1 Tb.spoon - whole black pepper.
- 4 Cardamom
- 12 Cloves.
- 1 Bay leaf - 3 inch long.
- 2 inch long piece of cinnamon.
Mildly roast all above spices and make fine powder.
Curry is almost cooked
Method Of Cooking :-
- Take 4 quart heavy gauge pot and heat 2 tb.spoon oil. Add 1 star anise and saute for 15 seconds.....quickly add chopped onions. Saute on medium heat for 4-5 minutes till onions turn soft.
- Add finely crushed ginger and garlic - Mix with onions and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add Ancho chili +coconut paste and ground spice blend. Saute for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add marinated chicken and stir well in the pot, make sure all chicken pieces get rightly coated with gravy. Increase heat to high and keep stirring with wooden spoon till chicken turns white. You may sprinkle little water to ease stirring and avoid sticking it to the bottom. This will take 4-5 minutes.
- Add red chilli power, adjust salt level - reduce heat to medium and let it cook for 10 minutes with covered lid. At regular interval keep stirring. At this stage inside steam will create more liquid gravy.
- Increase heat to medium high and let curry cook without lid for another 8-10 minutes. At this stage instead of stirring with spoon hold both pot handles.......lift pot and give clockwise stir to pot. (If you are not used to this method then just use wooden spoon to stir).
- Add diced roma tomatoes and cilantro. Mix well and let curry simmer for another 7-8 minutes on medium heat without lid. Stir at regular interval. Shut off the heat and let curry stay covered for another 15 minutes before serving with rice or roti.