Post published on 30th Dec-2015.
- 3/4 Cup - Quinoa (rinsed well in water.)
- 3 Tb.spoon - split Chana Dal (rinsed and drained.)
- 1/2 T.spoon - Mustard seeds
- 2 whole dry red chillies - I used Arbol chilies.
- 2 sprigs - Curry leaves
- 1/4 T.spoon - whole methi seeds (fenugreek seeds)
- 1/4 T.spoon - Turmeric powder (heaping 1/4 tsp)
- 1 pinch - Hing (asafoetida)
- 1 Tb.spoon - oil + 1 T.spoon extra to saute veggies.
- 1 Tb.spoon - melted ghee or extra virgin olive oil to drizzle over Khichadi
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts - ground to coarse powder + 2 Tb.spoon roughly chopped.
- 1 Tb.spoon - Sesame seeds - ground to coarse powder + 1 T.spoon - whole sesame seeds.
- 1 Small size - Red Capsicum, cut into half inch pieces. ( yield - 1 heaping cup)
- 10-12 - Green beans sliced into diagonal shape.
- 7-8 inch long 1 Celery stalk - sliced into 1/2 cm thick in half moon shape.
- Rinse Quinoa in water thoroughly, rub grain in water using fingers or use spoon and whisk in speed for one minute. Quinoa is very delicate to handle so I use tea strainer to drain water. Keep drained Quinoa aside.
- Prepping the veggies - Cut red capsicum into half an inch chunks, any color pepper can be used. Cut celery stalk into half moon shape with 1/2 cm thickness. Slice green beans diagonally into one inch long pieces.
- In a pressure cooker heat 1 tbsp oil, drop 3-4 mustard seeds, if they sizzle, quickly add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, increase heat to medium high, cover with lid, wait for 15-20 seconds until most of the mustard seeds crack in hot oil. Reduce heat to medium. Next add 2 dry red chilies, stir with spoon to sizzle until chilies turn slight darker in shade and smokey. Next add methi seeds along with one sprigs of curry leaves and 1 tsp whole sesame seeds, stir-saute for 15 seconds.
- Now add 3 tbsp rinsed split chana dal with 1 tbsp water, 1 pinch of hing, 1/4 heaping tsp turmeric powder, saute over medium heat for one and half minute, stirring continuously. Now add rinsed 3/4 cup quinoa, little less than half tsp salt, mix and stir over high heat for one minute. Add two cups water, continue to cook until it starts to boil. Cover the pressure cooker lid, cook until it blows two whistles. This small 2 liter pressure cooker releases multiple short whistles at the interval of 10-15 seconds lasting for 5 seconds. After 7-8 whistles I reduced the heat to low and cooked further for 7-8 minutes. Do the same with other types of pressure cooker, after two whistles, allow to rest for few minutes over low heat setting. Shut off the heat and wait until steam pressure subsides.
- Once quinoa is set to cook in pressure cooker you can start preparing khichadi veggies. In a medium size skillet heat 1 tsp oil, add sliced half moon shaped celery, saute over medium high heat for two minutes, stirring often. Next add sliced green beans and red capsicum along with remaining curry leaves, sprinkle about 1/4 tsp salt. Cook over medium heat for 7-8 minutes until veggies are cooked. Add 2-3 tbsp water to speed up cooking or slow roast veggies over low heat giving more time, while slow roasting keep pan moist by spraying some water. Once veggies are tender sprinkle ground sesame and peanut powder, mix well, let all veggies get dusted with sesame and peanut powder. Check salt level, add some more salt if needed, cook over medium high heat for one minute, stirring. Put off the heat.
- Open the cooled pressure cooker lid, throw in 2 tbsp roughly chopped peanuts, sauteed vegetables, mix all well, garnish with cilantro. Serve by drizzling melted ghee or extra virgin olive oil. If you need little more loose consistency, add 1/4 cup water and cook few more minutes or add 1/4 cup very hot water, mix and let it set for few minutes before serving.
Image for - cooking step-6