Kadhai Paneer is most popular rich subzi dish on the menu of Indian restaurants. I always wondered why there has to be Capsicum when they call it Kadhai Paneer. I googled it and found that no recipe is without addition of capsicum. Here is my version of Kadhai Paneer. I cooked with almost no gravy to bring more taste of Paneer and Capsicum in each bite.Ingredients :
- 250 gm paneer - 2 Cups griddle fried cubes
- 2 medium sized capsicum cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 large onion - cut lengthwise
- 6 Roma tomatoes diced in cubes
- 2 Tb.spoon oil ( some extra for frying paneer and capsicum)
- 2 Tb.spoon heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 T.spoon red chili powder
- 5 Garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger finely minced
- 5 Cloves.
- 2 Cardamom.
- 1 T.spoon shahajira.
- 1 Tb.spoon Fennel seeds.
- 1 Small Bay leaf.
- 1 inch piece of cinnamon.
- 5-6 strands of Saffron.
Griddle Fried Capsicum and Paneer Cubes
Method Of Preparation :-
A) Preparing Paneer cubes :
Cut paneer slab in half inch strips. Heat griddle to medium and pour some oil. Place all strips on the griddle and reduce heat to low. It will take approximate 10 minutes to fry them to golden brown color. At interval turn them to all sides. Check the picture. Do not over fry them. Paneer quickly gets burnt so keep flames on very low temperature. After all sides are fried to golden brown color remove from griddle and let them cool. Make half inch cubes with sharp knife.
B) Stir-frying Capsicum :
In the same griddle pour some more oil and add capsicum. Increase flames to high heat and stir-fry them by continuous stirring. It will take three - four minutes to cook capsicum. Remove from griddle and set on paper towel sprinkle some salt and toss.
C) Cooking Kadhai Paneer :
- Take a big Kadhai or any heavy bottom pan. I cooked in anodized saute pan. Heat 2 Tb.spoon oil and add onions. Saute them for 4-5 minutes on high heat till they turn soft and transparent.
- Add minced ginger and garlic and saute all for one minutes.
- Add powdered spices and strands of saffron saute for two minutes.
- Add half quantity of chopped tomatoes and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add Fried cubed paneer and capsicum. Add red chilli powder and salt as per taste. Mix all well and let it cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water and remaining tomatoes. Cook for 4-5 minutes. At this stage you can adjust gravy. Add little more water if you need more gravy. I cooked in dry manner, almost no gravy, just let paneer and capsicum to get coated with onion, spices, tomatoes.
- Add 2 Tb.spoon heavy cream. Mix all well and add fresh cilantro. Stir-fry on high heat for two minutes. Shut off gas. Cover with lid and let it stay for some time before serving with roti or rice.