- 10-12 tender chinese eggplants cut into half an inch long disc shape. (about 3 cups)
- 1 Extra large Onion - cut half lengthwise and half in small pieces.
- 10-15 curry leaves.
- 4-5 finely chopped green chilies.
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro.
- 1/2 T.spoon - Kalonji seeds
- 1/2 T.spoon - Ajwain seeds
- 1 T.spoon - Aamchur powder.
- 3-4 Tb.spoon cooking oil.
Method of cooking :-
- Take thick gauge open saute pan/skillet. Heat 2-3 Tb.spoon oil. Add baingan pieces and roast them on medium flames by occasionally stirring and turning (around 3-4 minutes for each batch). Keep roasted baingan aside. Pat them with paper towel. Sprinkle some salt and toss (Refer above picture).
- Wipe the pan with paper towel. Heat 1/2 Tb.spoon oil (just hot not smoking hot). Add 6-7 curry leaves. When they start sizzling, add 1/2 T.spoon Kalonji seeds and Ajwain seeds. Stir for 20 seconds.
- Add cut onions and fry on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add fried eggplants along with chopped green chilies and stir well on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Aamchur powder and adjust salt level. Add remaining curry leaves and saute on high heat for 2 minutes. Shut off the heat.
- Garnish with cilantro and enjoy with roti and rice.
- You may give your choice of cut to eggplants long, cube or disc shape.
- Kalonji and Ajwain can be replaced with mustard/cumin.
- 1 Tb.spoon Toasted sesame seeds can be used for final garnish.
- Bhindi (Okra), tindora, Parval can be stir-fried in similar manner.