- Fresh Spinach - 1o oz packet (284 gm) or one bunch of spinach.
- Paneer - 12 oz. (340 gm )- griddle roast - cut into half inch cubes. ( 20-25 cubes of paneer)
- 1 extra large onion - finely chopped
- 3-4 fresh garlic cloves - finely crushed
- Ginger 1 inch piece - finely crushed
- 4-5 Green chilies - finely chopped
- 2 Tb.spoon cooking oil
- 1 Tb.spoon melted Ghee
- Cinnamon - 1/2 inch piece
- bay leaf - 1 inch long
- 4 cloves
- 1/2 T.spoon Shahijeera
Advance Preparations :-
- Clean and rinse spinach leaves thoroughly in water and divide it in two parts. You can use either 10 oz packed fresh spinach or a fresh bunch of spinach.
- Take half the quantity of leaves and boil in salted water in microwave for 4-5 minutes. Drain the water and puree with hand blender. Keep it aside.
- Remaining Spinach finely chop in the food processor. Keep it aside.
- Cut Paneer block into 1/2 inch thick slab and fry it on griddle by maintaining very low temperature until it turns golden brown on both sides. Cut the slab into 1/2 inch cubes OR you can first cut cubes and later fry them on griddle. Cover fried pieces with moist paper towel and keep it aside.
- In a small jar of blender mix ginger,garlic and green chilies - Finely crush and keep it aside.
- Place a heavy bottom pan and heat 2 tbspoon oil. Add chopped onions and saute until they turn soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the crushed ginger-garlic-green chili mixture and saute for one minute.Now mix the powdered spice blend and saute for one minute on medium heat.
- Add griddle roasted paneer cubes , little salt - Gently stir and mix with onions and spices.Add chopped spinach and combine all well, add little more salt and let it cook on medium heat for about 4-5 minutes. If you find it too dry then sprinkle little water.Keep stirring at regular interval.
- Lastly add pureed spinach and mix well. Decrease heat to low , cover with lid. Shut off heat after 2-3 minutes.Finally drizzle melted ghee. Enjoy this deep green colored,coarse textured spicy palak paneer with roti and rice or as a sandwich/wrap spread.
When you want to cook Palak Paneer for big crowd - Use fresh spinach and frozen chopped spinach (50:50) ratio.