Quantity serves three people.
- 2 - Persian cucumbers - cut into 1/2 cm thick round slices.
- 200 gm - block of extra firm tofu - diced into 1/2 inch size.
- 1 - small size onion - slice into thin round rings or slice lengthwise.
- 2 - medium size tomatoes - chopped ( yield - 3 cups)
- 2 - green chilies - finely chopped
- 1/2 - T.spoon - Turmeric powder
- 1 T.spoon - garam masala or any of your favorite powdered masala blend.
- 3/4 cup - finely chopped cilantro
- 1 Tb.spoon - oil
- 1/4 cup water
Directions to cook Persian cucumber subzi with Tofu and Tomato :
- Slightly trim both the tips of cucumber, make 1/2 cm thick round slices. No need to peel the skin or remove seeds.
- Gently press/squeeze tofu block 4-5 times to drain out liquids then blot tofu block with two thick paper towels by slightly pressing from all sides few times, you don't need to thoroughly dry out tofu block because extra firm Tofu keeps its cube shape through out the cooking process. Once you dry out tofu block, cut into half an inch cubes, sprinkle very little salt over cubes, gently mix and toss, keep it aside.
- In a medium size heavy gauge pot heat 1 tbsp oil, add sliced onions - saute over medium heat for 7-8 minutes. Add chopped green chilies, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and one chopped tomato, stir fry for 2-3 minutes over high heat.
- Next add sliced Persian cucumber rounds, mix well. Add 1 tsp garam masala powder, salt, 1/4 cup water. Cook open over medium heat for 6-7 minutes.
- Add remaining chopped tomato, Tofu cubes, little chopped cilantro. Adjust salt level. If needed add 2-3 tbsp water and continue to cook open over medium low heat for 4-5 minutes or until Persian cucumbers are tender. Don't over cook, leave them a bit crunchy in texture.
- Finally add remaining chopped cilantro. Serve with rice or roti.
Earlier blogged subzi recipes with Tofu.
1) Capsicum,Broccoli,Edamame beans with Tofu.
2) Red radish and green peas with tofu.
3) Purslane stir fry with Tofu and Chayote.