Hand rolled, fully puffed American whole wheat flour Roti.
Curry Quantity is good for 4 people.
- 2 whole boneless and skinless chicken breasts - (1.5 lbs) cut into one inch cubes.
- 2 large onions - finely chopped, 3cups heaped quantity. (I used one Red and one Yellow)
- 3-4 Roma tomatoes - diced (2.5 cups yield)
- 3 inch piece -Ginger coarsely crushed
- 7-8 - large Garlic cloves coarsely crushed
- 1 cup - chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 T.spoon - Red chili powder
- Coconut milk - 3/4 cup. (try to use all natural, I used Renuka brand.)
- 2 Tb.spoon - oil
- 1 Tb.spoon - corriander seeds
- 1/2 T.spoon - shahijeera
- 1 T.spoon - fennel seeds
- 6 - cloves
- 1 T.spoon - whole black peppers
- 1 star anise - small size flower
- 1/2 inch square - cinnamon piece
- 1 Bay leaf - 2 inch long
- 6-7 inch long - Guajillo chilies or 4-5 bedgi chilies or you may use Kashmiri chili powder for color.
Method for preparing HomeStyle Indian Chicken Curry.
- Clean chicken breasts, pat dry, cut into one inch cubes. Marinate with little salt, keep it aside.You can use your choice of chicken pieces or whole chicken cut up, give more cooking time for bone in large size chicken pieces also increase onion quantity with one cup.
- Combine ginger and garlic in a small blender jar, grind to a coarse mixture. Alternatively you can grate it by using microplane.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a thick gauge pot. (3-4 quart size) Add chopped onions, increase heat to high, fry the onions stirring continuously for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and continue to saute onions, now stirring at some intervals. This will take around 8-10 minutes to soften the onions. Now add coarse crushed mixture of ginger and garlic, mix-saute for one minute.
- Next add ground spice blend, mix well, saute over medium low heat for 3-4 minutes. If mixture sticks to the bottom and gets dry, sprinkle little water and continue to saute.
- Add salt marinated chicken pieces, mix well. Cover with lid, cook over medium low heat for 7-8 minutes, stirring few times.
- Now add half the quantity of diced tomatoes, salt, 3/4 cup water and 1 tsp red chili powder, mix all well, cover with lid and continue to cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes, stirring at some interval. (spice blend has 1 tsp of black pepper which brings good heat, skip adding red chili powder if you want medium hot curry.)
- Stir in remaining chopped tomatoes, 3/4 cup coconut milk, little chopped cilantro, mix well, check and adjust salt level, cook over medium heat without covering the lid for 7-8 minutes. If you want thick gravy then cook over high heat for few more minutes, stirring often until you have achieved the desired gravy consistency. Finally add remaining chopped cilantro and shut off the heat. Cover with lid, allow to rest one hour before serving. You can serve this chicken curry over rice or eat with roti.
Curry cooked on 19th,March..published on 17th May,2013.