- 2 Cups DosaKai (Vellerica) cut in half inch cubes. ( I didn't remove the skin, taste little piece with skin , if it doesn't taste bitter then cut with skin on. Discard seeds)
- 3 pickling Cucumbers - peel the skin and cut in half inch cubes - ( 1.5 cups yield )
- 3 Tb.spoon - Green split peas ( well rinsed )
- 2-3 green chilies - finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup - fresh grated coconut
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 T.spoon - mustard seeds
- 1 Tb.spoon - cooking oil
- 1/2 cup - fresh chopped cilantro
- Heat 1 tbspoon oil in thick gauge heavy bottomed pot. Drop 2-3 mustard seeds, if they fiercely sizzle - that indicates oil is hot enough for tempering. Drop rest mustard seeds and wait for 15 seconds till they splutter..quickly add 6-7 curry leaves+ chopped green chilies - saute for 10 seconds.
- Now add diced dosakai pieces + rinsed green split peas with one cup water - Set the heat to high and let it cook with covered lid for 7-9 minutes. Do stir at interval.
- Cucumber takes relatively less time to cook so add it after dosakai is partially cooked. Mix both veggies. Add salt and little more water. Cover the lid and simmer it for 6-7 minutes on medium high heat. Stir gently occasionally.
- Sprinkle little coconut and remaining curry leaves - continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes until both veggies are cooked to tender and all liquid is almost evaporated ..little liquid residue is fine.
- Finally add remaining grated coconut and fresh cilantro . Serve with rice and roti.
I made organic flour roti by adding flaxseed meal and soy flour. I used following ratio - 1 cup organic flour + 1 tbspoon flaxseed meal + 1 tbspoon soybean flour. Prepare soft dough and make rotis. This ratio makes 5 rotis.