Thoran is one of the best Satvik Delicacy from Kerala. I have greatly adapted Thoran style in my day to day cooking. It is a combination of two or three vegetables cooked in absoulte simple way.It is colorful and packed with nutrition of true vegetable taste.
This particular combination of Green beans+Carrot+Beetroot thoran is picked from Kannur region.
- Two cups cut fresh green beans.
- One full Beetroot diced in small cubes.( Boil in microwave for 8 minutes)
- 4 Big Carrots diced in small cubes.( Boil in microwave for 8 minutes)
- 3 stems of curry leaves.
- 2 green chillies chopped.
- Salt/Turmeric powder.
- 1 Teaspoon mustard seeds.
- 1 Tb.spoon cooking oil.
- 1 Cup fresh shredded coconut.
- One cup chopped fresh cilantro.
- Take heavy gauge big size pot and heat 1 Tb.spoon oil.Add mustard seeds and as they start splattering add one stem of Curry leaf.
- Add cut green beans and turmeric powder and mix well. Set flames on high heat and let it cook for 5 minutes.Keep stiring.
- Reduce flames to medium and sprinkle little water over beans..add some salt and let it cook for another 5 minutes with lid on top.
- Drain out water from boiled carrot and mix with Green beans.Add another stem of fresh curry leaves and remaining chopped green chillies.Let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain out water from boiled Beetroot and add to the pot.Stir and mix well.Add last stem of curry leaves and half cup fresh shredded coconut.Let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Lastly add chopped cilantro and remaining coconut.You will be amazed to see this vibrant colored healthy Thoran.Enjoy with rice or roti.