Lentils,Pulses,grains,beans,peas are part of routine Indian cooking.Their variety/colors/flavors/textures and high nutritional value adds in making the most tastiest healthiest Indian curries.One can go on with infinite variations with lentil cooking.
This particular lentil Fusion curry is mix & match of Dal/Peas/grains with dash of few Indian spices and fresh herbs.
- One cup whole masoor dal.
- 1/4 cup Barley.
- 2 tb.spoon whole Urad dal with skin.
- 1/2 cup split skinless moong dal.
- 1 can of Crowder Peas duly rinsed and drained.
First four lentils thoroughly rinse in water and pressure cook for one whistle.In absence of pressure cooker take 6 quart stockpot and cook for at least 30-40 minutes with enough water till lentils turns soft.(Add salt while cooking lentils)These don't need pre-soaking so after rinsing they are ready to cook.
- 2 Tb.spoon corriander seeds.
- 1 Tb.spoon Jeera.
- 6 cloves.
Make fine powder of above spices. This can be replaced by 2 Tb.spoon Garam Masala or Goda Masala.
- 1 large onion -chopped.
- 8-10 cloves of garlic -finely crushed.
- 2 inch piece of ginger-finely crushed.
- 3 stems of curry leaf.
- 3 Large roma tomatoes -cut in cubes.
- 1 Tb.spoon brown sugar or Jaggery. (optional)
- 2 Tb.spoon Tamarind pulp (optional)
- 1 Tspoon turmeric.
- 1 Tspoon red chilli powder.
- 2 Tb.spoon cooking oil.
- 1 cup Fresh cilantro -chopped.
Method of Cooking:-
- Take big size thick gauge pot (4-6 quart).Heat 2Tb.spoon oil.Add chopped onion.Fry on high heat for 4 minutes.Keep stiring.
- Add crushed ginger and garlic and stir for 2 minutes.Add one stem of curry leaf.
- Add 2 diced tomatoes and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add ground spice powder,red chilli powder,turmeric powder..stir for 2 minutes.
- Add cooked lentils (don't add all water used for cooking lentils) Add rinsed crowder peas from CAN..Mix well and stir.Based on your desired consistancy add 3-4 cups of water.
- Add another stem of curry leaf and remaining chopped tomato.Add 1Tb.spoon brown sugar and 2Tb.spoon tamrind pulp..Mix well and let it cook on medium heat for 8-10 minutes.Keep stiring.
- Lastly garnish with cilantro and add last stem of curry leaf.Your Indian Fusion Lentil Curry is ready to eat with rice/roti or just enjoy in big bowl with dollop of butter.