Mushrooms have great nutritional value, they are rich in vitamins,minerals and protein.I enjoy them lot because of juicy texture and an earthy taste.Mushrooms adapt very well with different Indian dishes.Matar (green peas) and mushoom is very popular combination in Indian cooking. This mushroom curry has nice blend of Masala and Cream.
- 12-15 white button mushrooms - cut each lengthwise in four pieces.
- 1 Cup frozen green peas
- 1 medium size onion - finely chopped ( little more than one cup yield)
- 4 roma tomatoes - diced
- 1 inch piece of ginger - finely crushed
- 5 garlic cloves - finely crushed
- 1/2 cup - fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 Tb.spoon red chili powder
- 1 Tb.spoon heavy cream
- 2 Tb.spoon sour cream ( In absence of sour cream use 2tb.spoon strained yogurt)
- 1 Tb.spoon fennel seeds
- 1 Tb.spoon kasuri methi
- 1 Bay leaf - 2 inch long
- 6 cloves
- 2 cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
Cooking Method :-
- Heat 2 tb.spoon oil in heavy gauge pot. Add chopped onions and saute for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Add finely crushed ginger and galic - Saute for 1 minute.
- Add powdered spice-blend along with red chili powder - saute for 1 minute on low flame.
- Add diced tomatoes - Mix with spices and onions. stir-fry for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and 1/4 cup water. Mix well and let it cook with covered lid for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Add 1 cup frozen green peas and little chopped cilantro - cook it without lid for another 2-3 minutes.Increase heat to high and reduce excess liquid and create thick gravy.
- Beat sour cream and heavy cream - pour it in the pot..Combine everything and after one minute shut off the heat. Garnish with remaining cilantro and enjoy with warm nan/roti/rice.