Ingredients for Salad with Vegetable Tofu balls :
Makes 12-15 Tofu balls / 2 Servings of salad.
Tofu Ball Ingredients
- 1 block - Firm tofu (8 oz.) , I cut half from 16 oz. slab of tofu.
- 1/3 Cup - Finely sliced scallion greens.
- 1/3 Cup - Tightly packed very finely sliced kale leaves.
- 1.5 Tb.spoon - Besan flour /gram flour ( roasted)
- 1.5 Tb.spoon - Buckwheat flour ( roasted)
- 1 Tb.spoon - fine rice flour to use while shaping tofu balls.
- 1 green chili - finely sliced.
- 1 pinch - Hing/Asafoetida
- 1 pinch - Turmeric powder
- 1/4 T.spoon - salt
- 3 Cups - Chopped Iceberg lettuce leaves.
- 1/2 Cucumber - sliced into thin half moon shape. (1.5 Cup yield)
- Black olives - 12-15 thoroughly drained and rinsed.( I used canned whole pitted olives.)
- 1 T.spoon - oil + 1/2 tsp more to roast flours.
3.5 Cups - Chopped Iceberg lettuce leaves. ( about 100 gm)
1 Persian cucumber - 25-30 slices
1 green chili - finely sliced
1 Tb.spoon - Extra virgin olive oil
1.5 T.spoon - Vinegar
1/4 cup - Purslane leaves (optional)
1 tiny pinch - salt
1 pinch - sugar
How to prepare Tofu protein balls for salad :
- Preparing Tofu :Cut half portion from 16 oz Tofu block. Rinse under water, press block few times between the palms of your hand, pat with thick two layers of paper towel, absorb as much as water, then place it in the bowl, break slab by using fork. Take a clean cotton cloth, place in all scrambled tofu, twist and tie cloth tightly, squeeze few times to remove all water content from the tofu. Give 4-5 minutes for water extraction, at least two times open the twisted cloth, move center part of the tofu towards bottom, squeeze again. This will drain out maximum water, I got around 1/2 cup drained liquid. Place water drained tofu back into the dry bowl.
- In a small saute pan add 1.5 tbsp each of Besan and buckwheat flour, 1/2 tsp oil. Roast over medium heat, stirring constantly until flour turns dry, slightly grainy and aromatic.This will take little over 3 minutes.
- In a drained tofu bowl add very finely sliced 1/3 cup scallion greens, 1 tbsp roasted flour, 1 sliced green chili, one pinch of hing and one generous pinch of turmeric powder, 1/4 tsp salt. Mix all well.
- Next add finely sliced Kale leaves, mix well, sprinkle 1 more tbsp roasted buckwheat and besan flour. You can add kale leaves along with scallion greens, I added it later because initially I had thought about using only scallion. Mix and knead well, once smooth ball is formed, divide it into small size balls. I made assorted shaped balls but later I cut roasted bigger size protein balls into half. It is better to make small bite sized balls because they will cook through quicker and more enjoyable in salads. While making balls first firmly press and create rough round ball, then hold it between the two palms and roll to achieve smooth rounds. If you feel stickiness, dust with rice flour, also oil greased palm will help.
- Heat saute pan by drizzling few drops of oil, Place all the balls, cook over medium heat for about 12-15 minutes. Flip the balls very often to get roasted all around. Also 2-3 times increase heat to medium high, heat pan for a minute then hold pan handle and swirl around for 20 seconds so that tofu balls are cooked through well and form even roast marks around ball. Next time I will experiment to bake, grill and steam these tofu protein balls. For better flavor I added rinsed whole pitted black olives in the pan along with tofu balls when tofu balls were roasted half way through, after 7 minutes. Remove roasted olives and tofu balls from the pan, allow to cool.
mix vegetable Paneer+Tofu koftas for sattvic kofta curry.