(Makes 6 small size Rotis.)
- 1/2 Cup - Aashirvaad multi grain atta ( any other type of wheat flour can be used.)
- 1/2 Cup - Ragi flour ( also known as Nachani, Maddua, finger millet)
- 1 Tb.spoon - slightly heaped Flax seed meal (coarse powder of flaxseeds.)
- 1 Cup water + extra 4-5 Tb.spoons
- 1/4 T.spoon - fine sea salt
- 1 T.spoon - oil to add in the dough.
- 2-3 Tb.spoon all purpose flour - for dusting dough balls.
- In a medium size microwave safe bowl mix 1 tbsp flax seed meal with 1/2 cup water. Heat over high heat for 70-75 seconds.(make sure mixture don't overflows from bowl.)
- Quickly add 1/2 cup Ragi flour to the bowl, mix with spoon. Allow to cool for five minutes. Add wheat flour, salt, remaining 1/2 cup room temperature water, mix with spoon until rough dough ball is formed. Add 4 tbsp water, knead the dough, you may add little more water to make soft dough based on your desired softness in handling dough. Once soft dough is formed smear some oil around and knead for 2-3 minutes. ( For better results keep dough covered with plastic wrap for half an hour.)
- Make 6 equal size balls. Slightly dust each ball with flour. Roll out each ball into 5-6 inch diameter circle. While rolling turn roti clock wise, flip two three times, if needed gently dust with flour. Roll with gentle pressure, maintain uniform thickness all over roti.
- Fry each roti for about 2-3 minutes by flipping two or three times. Maintain medium to medium high heat. Well rolled roti will puff like balloon, also getting multiple puffs through out roti yields soft texture. Use roti press or ball of paper towel to gently press roti while frying. Place fried roti over paper towel lined plate, cover with metal or glass dome lid. Do wipe excess formed steam from inside the dome lid.
- Serve these rotis warm with vegetarian curries, subzis ,Chicken or Goat meat curries. Addition of raw onions, green chilies and different herbs adds lot of goodness to the meal. I like to make roti roll wrapped with finely sliced raw onions, fresh herbs, sliced raw veggies, sour cream or cream cheese.
Finger Millet (Nachani) & Wheat flour Indian Flat bread.
Post published on 11/22/2013
Previously blogged recipe of healthy roti formula.