Ingredients to make Parsley Paratha :
- 1.5 cup - wheat flour ( I used Indian chakki aata-Royal Brand)
- 4 Tb.spoon - Besan/ chickpea flour
- 3 Tb.spoon - Teff flour ( you can substitute with any other grain flour like jawar, bajra,ragi)
- 1 Tb.spoon - flax seed powder/ Alsi powder
- 1.5 cup - extra finely chopped parsley
- 4-5 - garlic cloves
- 1 inch - ginger piece
- 1/2 cup - roughly crushed onions
- 2 Florida hot green chilies or regular 3-4 chilies.(for mild heat use 1 Florida Hot chili.)
- 1/4 cup - yogurt
- 1/2 T.spoon - turmeric powder
- 1/2 T.spoon slightly heaped - salt
- 5-6 Tb.spoon water
- 2 Tb.spoon oil + more to apply while roasting parathas.
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour/ Maida - to dust dough balls. (you can use rice flour or same wheat flour)
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 T.spoon - shahijeera
- 1 Tb.spoon corriander seeds
- 2 pinches kalonji
Note : You can change this spice blend with your choices of spices, even you entirely skip adding spices these parathas will taste good, only change I will suggest is increase ginger and garlic quantity.
How to make Parsley Paratha/ Roti.
- Roughly chop onion, garlic, ginger and green chilies. Combine all in a small mixer bowl, crush to coarse texture without adding water. Alternatively you can grate onion, garlic, ginger and finely chop chilies.
- In a medium bowl combine 1.5 cup wheat flour, 4 tbsp besan, 3 tbsp Teff flour, 1 tbsp flaxseed powder, finely chopped parsley, coarse ground mixture of onion-ginger-garlic-green chilies, 1/4 cup yogurt, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp salt, ground spice powder. Mix all together with wooden spoon.
- Add 5 tbsp water, knead until mixture forms into dough. If dough doesn't form ball add 1-2 tbsp more water. Once dough is merged it will be sticky so smear dough ball with 1 tbsp or little more oil and knead again. Press several times with your fist to make smooth dough ball.
- Divide the dough into eight balls of equal size. Dust each ball with little flour, roll each ball circular holding between your oil greased palms. Make perfect shallow round dough balls, dust with flour, keep aside covered for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat griddle over medium low heat. Slowly roll out dough ball over flour dusted surface. You may experience some difficulty as we have lot of rough texture of crushed herbs. Pat cracked edges with spatula or fingers to make edges smooth. Continue to roll paratha by flipping one or two times. Stretch up to 6 inch diameter. If white flour is visible over rolled paratha, dust if off by using brush or wet paper towel.
- Spray 2-3 drops of oil in the center of the griddle before placing rolled paratha.(Use home made oil spray, Take new plastic spray bottle, rinse with water, dry and fill with cooking oil.) After placing rolled paratha over griddle maintain medium low heat for 30 seconds then increase heat to medium. Spray some oil above and over the edges. Press with kitchen towel/ balled paper towel or wooden chapati press. After one minute flip paratha, again you may spray little oil and fry for 30-40 seconds. You may once again flip paratha and fry for few seconds to ensure it is rightly fried. Give around two minutes for each paratha and maintain medium low to medium heat.Don't let get dark browned burnt spots on paratha. Slow roast for more flavor.
- As you finish frying each paratha, stack it on a paper towel lined plate. Cover with dome lid to keep them soft. Do wipe out formed steam from dome lead with paper towel after stacking 3-4 parathas.
- Serve hot with sour cream, mayonnaise, plain yogurt, whipped cream cheese or parsley infused yogurt like shown in the image. To make parsley infused yogurt - Take half cup yogurt, add salt and 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley.