This quick Chinese style Kadhai Chicken curry I cooked for dinner in March. There were two banana peppers in the fridge that instantly reminded me of Tri Pepper chicken curry served in one of the local Chinese restaurant. Tri pepper is the combination of Sichuan pepper corns, banana peppers and whole red chilies. This curry recipe was inspired by the restaurant served Tri pepper chicken. It took little over half an hour to cook this curry. When I was done cooking, curry in Kadhai looked tempting that prompted me to pick camera and take picture. It was last minute thought to note this recipe to share in the blog. Try this recipe when you seriously crave for some spicy Chinese chicken curry.
Note - Published on 3rd August.
Note - Published on 3rd August.
Chicken curry rice dinner enjoyed on 15th March.
- 1 lbs - skinless-boneless chicken thighs cut into 1/2 inch small nuggets.(any other chicken portion is fine but keep it in small chunks form.)
- 2 banana peppers - 6-7 inch long - cut into 1 inch pieces.
- One large onion - cut half lengthwise and finely chop rest.
- 7-8 garlic cloves - finely minced
- 2-3 Tb.spoon - oil
- 1 Tb.spoon - black bean sauce
- 1 Tb.spoon - teriyaki sauce
- 1 Tb.spoon - vinegar
- 1 T.spoon - soy sauce
- 1 Tb.spoon - Marsala wine
- 1 T.spoon - black pepper powder
- 1 T.spoon - red chili powder
- 1 T.spoon - crushed dry basil or half cup fresh chopped basil leaves.( Fresh basil is better)
- 1 T.spoon - tapioca flour or replace with 1 T.spoon corn starch.
- Marinate chicken nuggets in 1 tbsp marsala wine + 1 tsp soy sauce for about 10-15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in small kadhai or saute pan. Add cut banana peppers in two batches, stir fry / roast each batch on medium high heat for 2-3 minutes until pepper skin is slightly charred. Taste little banana pepper for hotness. If it is hot then I suggest you to skip adding red chili powder and reduce quantity of black pepper powder too. Drain roasted banana peppers on paper towel.
- In the same pan if required add 1 tsp oil, stir fry onions for about 7-8 minutes until they get soft.
- Add finely minced garlic, saute for one minute.
- Add 1 tbsp black bean sauce, 1 tbsp Teriyaki sauce. Mix well.
- Now add marinated chicken pieces. Discard liquid created from marination. Saute over high heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp vinegar, 1 tsp black pepper powder, 1 tsp red chili powder, basil. Combine well, cover saute pan with lid and allow to simmer for 8-10 minutes. Check there is enough liquid in the pan, if necessary add 2-3 tbsp water. Stir at regular intervals.
- Next add roasted banana peppers. Stir gently to combine with chicken and gravy.
- Add half cup water, sprinkle 1 tsp tapioca flour. (If you are using corn starch / corn flour, prepare paste by adding 1 tbsp water in 1 tsp corn starch) Stir and mix well. Check and adjust seasonings. Throw in some more fresh chopped basil leaves. Leave it to simmer for 6-7 minutes over medium heat. Serve hot with rice or roti.
Note : This is quite flexible curry. Combination of banana peppers and chicken is the essence of this curry. It is o.k to skip few sauces. If you don't like sweetness in chicken curry then skip Teriyaki sauce because that brings mild sweetness to the dish. In absence of wine use vinegar to marinate chicken. If you are skipping one or two sauces then increase little soy sauce quantity. Taste and adjust soy sauce quantity as you cook. I didn't use salt in this curry because all these Chinese sauces have high sodium content.
Simple Dinner of Kadhai chicken curry and Rice.
Kadhai chicken Curry in chinese sauces.